Program Notes: House Plan Modifications
To hear the full program, please listen here:
In this podcast, Shawnna discusses:
- The driving force of many house plan modifications
- A couple reasons why starting with a stock plan and then modifying it can be a great way to go
- On average, how many houses it takes homeowners to finally achieve their 'perfect house'
- When choosing a houseplan, what should you focus upon the most - the floor plan or the exterior? You might be surprised at what Shawnna says.
- A popular, seemingly simple modification request that is actually difficult to
- How search engines on stockplan websites can help you narrow down the type of
houseplan that you want
- A couple fun yet functional modifications that you may want to
consider - even for remodels
Samples of Online House Floor Plans with Porches
What Changes Would You Make?
A Popular Craftsman Home Floor Plan
Country Style Home Floor Plan
Ranch Style House Floor Plan
A few excerpts from our discussion with Shawnna:
- Regarding stock house plans: You find something that really does aesthetically appeal to you; you
get to personalize it for your own family's needs or your hobbies.
What we do is customize your plan, for example, if someone is a
photographer or athlete, there are custom elements you can include in
- Where to put your focus: The first step is finding something you like. And you should find
something where you like the floor plan more than the outside. It is
easier to adjust the outside than the floorplan because of the offsets
of the house, roof line, etc.
- What can be modified: We can do just about anything, given some compromises along the way.
The one [modification] that makes me cringe is when they find a house they like, say a 3,000
square foot house, and they ask to reduce [the square footage] of this house by 20%.
In your head it seems like it would be so easy. But you can't reduce a bathroom
by 20%, or garages the same way. You cannot keep the same layout.
- One of the house plan modifications I like is where people have the laundry
accessible from the master closet. They position their laundry where
they have a hall access. You don't have to go through the closet to
get there but have a pocket door from the master closet to it.
- Electrical plan: We give you a basic electrical plan but if you want
a custom electrical plan, we encourage you to work with your local
builder because of local code requirements.
Thanks Again to Our Guest, Shawnna
We appreciate Shawnna Steele sharing her tips with us all here. You can work with Shawna either by purchasing a home plan on Family Home Plans
and requesting modifications or chat with her via her website ReDesign HP
Listen to Our Audio Program: 00:24:51
If you make a purchase through one of our affiliate links, we may earn a commission. Here is our full disclosure
about affiliate marketing.
Be sure to use our Porch Ideas Network Directory
to hear more of our audio programs with leading experts in their fields.