Wood Porch Swings
Comforting, Calming, and Classy
Wood porch swings give you instant comfort while adding both charm and warmth to any home.
Whether selecting a classic style or wanting a little more sophistication, you'll find a wide variety
of styles, colors, and materials from which to choose.
Mary and I love wooden swings - they remind us of our childhood and being a woodworker, just the look and feel
of a natural material.
They are inviting and who doesn't love the sense of comfort you get from gently swaying
with a summer breeze.
If Only This 'Ole Porch Swing Could Talk
Wooden swings are usually made from mahogany, cypress, ash, teak, acacia, treated, oak or cedar.
All are durable outdoor woods that will last a long time
and will give you hours of comfort and relaxation.
photo courtesy of Jeff and Leyla
Natural Cedar Swing Available at Amazon
You can also find them in pine or poplar which are excellent woods to use if you want to paint your swing.
However, they will require more regular maintenance and are not as durable as other woods we cited.
We also include a woods comparison chart and instructions for how to care for them properly below.
Find Your Perfect Wood Porch Swing
See what we found for you! Mary and I have selected a variety of wood swings for maximum appeal to many -
take a look and see if any of these are to your liking!
Acacia Wood Black Painted Swing
Durable and lustrous, acacia wood is weather resistant and obtained from eco-protected forests.
It has a slat curved back and seat for maximum comfort; black exterior will blend well with any decor.
Dark Brown Eucalyptus Wood Porch Swing
This 4 foot crafted swing is weather resistant withcurved X-back detailing and a slat-style seat.
Comfortable for two, this design will fit well on large and small porches alike.
White 4 Foot Comfy Porch Swing
Made from acacia wood from protected forests, this 4 foot (5 foot available too) white porch swing has a brilliant, lasting finish that is perfect with any decor.
Unique Balau Shorea Wood Porch Swing
This heavy hardwood swing (wood is from Malaysia) has complete weatherproof protection and has a rich, warm look you are sure to love.
Sophisticated, yet traditional in design, the slat back gives it a nostalgic appearance.
Comes with a rope chain too - which is nice.
Fanback Designed Porch Swing
with Choice of Colors
Select from a wide variety of colors, this fanback porch swing made with Amish craftsmanship of painted yellow pine for durability.
Comes with hanging chain too! Also available unfinished so you can match your house's paint trim color if so desired.
5 Foot Cedar Porch Roll Back Swing
Made from western red cedar, this swing will hold up against the elements and look fantastic doing it!
Will seat two in contoured comfort.
Insect and weather resistant, this swing will last for years to come with little maintenance. It's a beauty of a swing!
Amish Heavy Duty Mission Style Pine Wood Swing
Available in both 4 foot and 5 foot versions, this swing is made for not only strength but also beauty as well.
Comes with cup holders and chain; hang and enjoy this solidly build swing made from pressure treated pine.
Lodge Pole Pine Wood Swing
With a 350 pound capacity, this heavy duty porch swing can handle extremes. Built from lodge pole pine, this
beauty has mortise and tenon joinery for added strength. Comes pre-finished and with hanging chain.
True Country Porch Swing
Made from white cedar with contoured seat, this country swing will give you hours of fantastic porch swing time.
Hang from your existing porch beams, a favorite tree, or from an A-frame.
Diamond Back Cypress Swing
This six foot cypress swing (other sizes available) offers a contoured seat and plenty of seating.
Hanging chains are included; swing has a 500 pound capacity. Comes unfinished to weather to
a lustrous barn wood grey or stain if you desire.
Wood Tree Porch Swing for Larger Adults
This elegant swing is built for larger adults to sit comfortably on a 20 inch deep seat. It has a lifetime
warranty and is constructed of hand-crafted cypress. It measures 44 inches wide, 20 inches deep, and comes
with a 20 inch high back.
400 Pound Capacity Wood Tree Porch Swing Chair for Larger Adults
This neat chair swing can handle up to 400 pounds and is made from cypress. Hang on a porch, a tree, or an A-frame and
enjoy the comfort and pleasure of a porch swing.
This is just a small sample of porch swings available at Amazon
We encourage you to check out the myriad of swings for your choosing!
Personalized Glider Swing Combo
Mary and I love this neat glider swing - you can place it almost anywhere and enjoy the comfort of a porch swing!
Unique in design, highly durable, and perfect for your porch or outdoor living area. You can even personalize it
with your name, favorite sports team, or other logo.
Uniquely Designed Glider Swings by Southern Swings at Amazon
Perfect for Your Outdoor Living Area
Tips for Protecting Your Wood Porch Swing
Wood porch swings are susceptible to damage from the sun and rain so take good care of yours.
Exposure to rains can cause wood to rot or warp over time and that's no fun whatsoever.
Consider these tips for protecting your family heirloom swing:
- Store your porch swing indoors or cover your swing during the winter months in snow country. Snow and ice
can easily damage unprotected wood. If you don't have room to store it inside, then protect your swing outdoors perhaps with a cover.
- Keep alcoholic beverages, plants, and hot items from touching your wood furniture. These can permanently stain
- Clean your swing at least once a year. Use a mixture of dishwashing liquid (approximately 5-7 tablespoons), bleach (approximately 1 to 2 tablespoons, and a gallon of water.
- Use a soft bristle brush and scrub the wood. Allow it to dry completely before repainting or staining.
Always test the wood in an inconspicuous place first to be sure the bleach does not damage it.
- Eventually you'll probably want to restain or repaint your swing to keep it in like-new condition. Always use the best materials your budget allows and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Know the Woods Used in Wood Porch Swings
- Mahogany is a durable, tropical hardwood with fine grain and is resistant to rot and mildew.
- Cypress has natural preservative oil known as cypressene, which gives the wood natural resistance to insects and decay.
- Ash is a tough wood that is used to make furniture with high strength and resilience.
- Cedar, if unfinished and left outdoors, will weather to a silvery gray patina. Disease and insect resistant.
- Acacia, native to Australia, is a prominent furniture-making wood; lustrous finish and
- Teak is a tropical hardwood that is very durable and water resistant making it an excellent
outdoor furniture wood.
- Oak is a high density wood and resistant to both insect and fungal attack. Has very nice
grain patterns. Has several varieties.
- Cedar, very disease and insect resistant, cedar is also resistant to warping and twisting.
- Eucalyptus is a dense hardwood and known for its durability and strength along with its
resistance to decay.
- Balau Shorea is an extremely durable hardwood that is used primarily for heavy construction.
It can be painted or stained.
- Pine is a soft wood and not necessarily recommended for prolonged outdoor use.
Front Porch Wood Swing Plans
Nothing quite like building your own porch swing - make it into an heirloom that your family will enjoy for generations!
For Making Your Own
Here are two neat plans we thought you'd enjoy:
You can find these and other swing woodworking plans at Amazon
Hang Your Swing Safely
See how easy it is to hang a porch swing properly to ensure your family's safety and to enjoy your swing for
years to come.
Get access to the right porch swing hardware too.
If you make a purchase through one of our affiliate links, we may earn a commission, but the cost is the same to you.
Here is our full disclosure
about affiliate marketing.
The Amazon ads are our affiliate links. Thank you.